- Fixed documentation to use pypi.org and correct curl options; #1042
- bug fix: ensure prefix is absolute when creating a new virtual environment #1208
- upgrade setuptools from
- upgrade wheel from
- upgrade pip from
activate.cshdoes not use basename and handles newlines #1200
- fix failure to copy on platforms that use lib64 #1189
- enable tab-completion in the interactive interpreter by default, thanks to a new
sys.__interactivehook__on Python 3 #967
- suppress warning of usage of the deprecated
- Drop support for Python 2.6.
- Upgrade pip to 10.0.1.
- Upgrade setuptools to 39.1.0.
- Upgrade wheel to 0.31.1.
- Upgrade setuptools to 39.0.1.
- Upgrade pip to 9.0.3.
- Upgrade wheel to 0.30.0.
- Support Python 3.6.
- Upgrade setuptools to 28.0.0.
- Upgrade pip to 9.0.1.
- Don’t install pre-release versions of pip, setuptools, or wheel from PyPI.
- Print error message when DEST_DIR exists and is a file
- Upgrade setuptools to 20.3
- Upgrade pip to 8.1.1.
- Upgrade setuptools to 20.0
- Upgrade wheel to 0.29.0
- Fix an error where virtualenv didn’t pass in a working ssl certificate for pip, causing “weird” errors related to ssl.
- Upgrade setuptools to 19.6.1
- Upgrade from pip 8.0.0 to 8.0.2.
- Fix the default of
--(no-)downloadto default to downloading.
- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Drop support for Python 3.2.
- Upgrade setuptools to 19.4
- Upgrade wheel to 0.26.0
- Upgrade pip to 8.0.0
- Upgrade argparse to 1.4.0
- Added support for
python-configscript (PR #798)
- Updated activate.fish (PR #589) (PR #799)
- Account for a
site.pyocorrectly in some python implementations (PR #759)
- Properly restore an empty PS1 (#407)
- Properly remove
- Remove workaround for very old Mageia / Mandriva linuxes (PR #472)
- Added a space after virtualenv name in the prompt:
- Make sure not to run a –user install when creating the virtualenv (PR #803)
- Remove virtualenv.py’s path from sys.path when executing with a new python. Fixes issue #779, #763 (PR #805)
- Remove use of () in .bat files so
Program Files (x86)works #35
- Download new releases of the preinstalled software from PyPI when there are
new releases available. This behavior can be disabled using
--no-wheelindependent of each other.
- Upgrade pip to 7.1.2.
- Upgrade pip to 7.1.1.
- Upgrade setuptools to 18.2.
- Make the activate script safe to use when bash is running with
- Upgrade pip to 7.1.0
- Upgrade setuptools to 18.0.1
- Upgrade pip to 7.0.3
- Upgrade pip to 7.0.2
- Upgrade setuptools to 17.0
- Upgrade pip to 7.0.1
- Automatically install wheel when creating a new virutalenv. This can be
disabled by using the
- Don’t trust the current directory as a location to discover files to install packages from.
- Upgrade setuptools to 16.0.
- Upgrade pip to 7.0.0.
- Upgrade pip to 6.1.1
- Upgrade setuptools to 15.0
- Upgrade pip to 6.1.0
- Upgrade pip to 6.0.8
- Upgrade pip to 6.0.7
- Upgrade setuptools to 12.0.5
- Upgrade pip to 6.0.6
- Upgrade setuptools to 11.0
- Revert the fix to
-pon Debian based pythons as it was broken in other situations.
- Revert several sys.path changes new in 12.0 which were breaking virtualenv.
- Fix an issue where Debian based Pythons would fail when using -p with the host Python.
- Upgrade pip to 6.0.3
- Upgraded pip to 6.0.2
- Upgraded pip to 6.0.1
- PROCESS Version numbers are now simply
X.Ywhere the leading
1has been dropped.
- Split up documentation into structured pages
- Now using pytest framework
- Correct sys.path ordering for debian, issue #461
- Correctly throws error on older Pythons, issue #619
- Allow for empty $PATH, pull #601
- Don’t set prompt if $env:VIRTUAL_ENV_DISABLE_PROMPT is set for Powershell
- Updated setuptools to 7.0
- Updated setuptools to 3.6
- Updated pip to 1.5.6
- Updated setuptools to 3.4.4
- Updated documentation to use https://virtualenv.pypa.io/
- Updated pip to 1.5.5
- Updated pip to 1.5.4
- Updated setuptools to 2.2
- Updated pip to 1.5.3
- Fixed easy_install installed virtualenvs by updated pip to 1.5.2
- Fixed an issue where pip and setuptools were not getting installed when using
- Updated setuptools to fix an issue when installed with easy_install
- Fixed an issue with Python 3.4 and sys.stdout encoding being set to ascii
- Upgraded pip to v1.5.1
- Upgraded setuptools to v2.1
- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Switched to using wheels for the bundled copies of setuptools and pip. Using sdists is no longer supported - users supplying their own versions of pip/setuptools will need to provide wheels.
- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Modified the handling of
--extra-search-dirs. This option now works like pip’s
--find-linksoption, in that it adds extra directories to search for compatible wheels for pip and setuptools. The actual wheel selected is chosen based on version and compatibility, using the same algorithm as
pip install setuptools.
- Fixed #495, –always-copy was failing (#PR 511)
- Upgraded pip to v1.5
- Upgraded setuptools to v1.4
- New Signing Key Release 1.10.1 is using a different key than normal with fingerprint: 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA
- Upgraded pip to v1.4.1
- Upgraded setuptools to v0.9.8
BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Dropped support for Python 2.5. The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.6.
BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Using
virtualenv.pyas an isolated script (i.e. without an associated
virtualenv_supportdirectory) is no longer supported for security reasons and will fail with an error.
Along with this,
--never-downloadis now always pinned to
True, and is only being maintained in the short term for backward compatibility (Pull #412).
IMPORTANT Switched to the new setuptools (v0.9.7) which has been merged with Distribute again and works for Python 2 and 3 with one codebase. The
--setuptoolsoptions are now no-op.
Updated to pip 1.4.
Added support for PyPy3k
--always-copyoption to suppress use of symlinks (Pull #409)
Added the option to use a version number with the
-poption to get the system copy of that Python version (Windows only)
distribute_from_egg.pyfiles as part of switching to merged setuptools.
--relocatableto work better on Windows.
Fixed issue with readline on Windows.
- Updated to pip 1.3.1 that fixed a major backward incompatible change of parsing URLs to externally hosted packages that got accidentily included in pip 1.3.
- Unset VIRTUAL_ENV environment variable in deactivate.bat (Pull #364)
- Upgraded distribute to 0.6.34.
--no-pipoptions (Pull #336).
- Fixed Issue #373. virtualenv-1.8.4 was failing in cygwin (Pull #382).
- Fixed Issue #378. virtualenv is now “multiarch” aware on debian/ubuntu (Pull #379).
- Fixed issue with readline module path on pypy and OSX (Pull #374).
- Made 64bit detection compatible with Python 2.5 (Pull #393).
- Updated distribute to 0.6.31. This fixes #359 (numpy install regression) on
UTF-8 platforms, and provides a workaround on other platforms:
PYTHONIOENCODING=utf8 pip install numpy.
- When installing virtualenv via curl, don’t forget to filter out arguments the distribute setup script won’t understand. Fixes #358.
- Added some more integration tests.
- Removed the unsupported embedded setuptools egg for Python 2.4 to reduce file size.
- Fixed readline on OS X. Thanks minrk
- Updated distribute to 0.6.30 (improves our error reporting, plus new distribute features and fixes). Thanks Gabriel (g2p)
- Added compatibility with multiarch Python (Python 3.3 for example). Added an integration test. Thanks Gabriel (g2p)
- Added ability to install distribute from a user-provided egg, rather than the bundled sdist, for better speed. Thanks Paul Moore.
- Make the creation of lib64 symlink smarter about already-existing symlink, and more explicit about full paths. Fixes #334 and #330. Thanks Jeremy Orem.
- Give lib64 site-dir preference over lib on 64-bit systems, to avoid wrong 32-bit compiles in the venv. Fixes #328. Thanks Damien Nozay.
- Fix a bug with prompt-handling in
activate.cshin non-interactive csh shells. Fixes #332. Thanks Benjamin Root for report and patch.
- Make it possible to create a virtualenv from within a Python 3.3. pyvenv. Thanks Chris McDonough for the report.
- Add optional –setuptools option to be able to switch to it in case distribute is the default (like in Debian).
- Updated the included pip version to 1.2.1 to fix regressions introduced there in 1.2.
- Fixed distribute version used with
--never-download. Thanks michr for report and patch.
- Fix creating Python 3.3 based virtualenvs by unsetting the
__PYVENV_LAUNCHER__environment variable in subprocesses.
- Dropped support for Python 2.4 The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.5.
--relocatableon systems that use lib64. Fixes #78. Thanks Branden Rolston.
- Symlink some additional modules under Python 3. Fixes #194. Thanks Vinay Sajip, Ian Clelland, and Stefan Holek for the report.
--relocatablewhen a script uses
__future__imports. Thanks Branden Rolston.
- Fix a bug in the config option parser that prevented setting negative options with environment variables. Thanks Ralf Schmitt.
- Allow setting
--no-site-packagesfrom the config file.
/usr/bin/multiarch-platformif available to figure out the include directory. Thanks for the patch, Mika Laitio.
install_name_toolreplacement to work on Python 3.X.
- Handle paths of users’ site-packages on Mac OS X correctly when changing the prefix.
- Updated the embedded version of distribute to 0.6.28 and pip to 1.2.
- Updated to distribute 0.6.27.
- Fix activate.fish on OS X. Fixes #8. Thanks David Schoonover.
- Create a virtualenv-x.x script with the Python version when installing, so virtualenv for multiple Python versions can be installed to the same script location. Thanks Miki Tebeka.
- Restored ability to create a virtualenv with a path longer than 78 characters, without breaking creation of virtualenvs with non-ASCII paths. Thanks, Bradley Ayers.
- Added ability to create virtualenvs without having installed Apple’s
developers tools (using an own implementation of
install_name_tool). Thanks Mike Hommey.
- Fixed PyPy and Jython support on Windows. Thanks Konstantin Zemlyak.
- Added pydoc script to ease use. Thanks Marc Abramowitz. Fixes #149.
- Fixed creating a bootstrap script on Python 3. Thanks Raul Leal. Fixes #280.
- Fixed inconsistency when having set the
PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODEenv var with the –distribute option or the
VIRTUALENV_USE_DISTRIBUTEis now considered again as a legacy alias.
- Fixed minor issue in
--relocatable. Thanks, Cap Petschulat.
- Bumped the version string in
- Fixed rST rendering bug of long description.
- Update embedded pip to version 1.1.
--relocatableunder Python 3. Thanks Doug Hellmann.
- Added environ PATH modification to activate_this.py. Thanks Doug Napoleone. Fixes #14.
- Support creating virtualenvs directly from a Python build directory on Windows. Thanks CBWhiz. Fixes #139.
- Use non-recursive symlinks to fix things up for posix_local install scheme. Thanks michr.
- Made activate script available for use with msys and cygwin on Windows. Thanks Greg Haskins, Cliff Xuan, Jonathan Griffin and Doug Napoleone. Fixes #176.
- Fixed creation of virtualenvs on Windows when Python is not installed for all users. Thanks Anatoly Techtonik for report and patch and Doug Napoleone for testing and confirmation. Fixes #87.
- Fixed creation of virtualenvs using -p in installs where some modules
that ought to be in the standard library (e.g.
readline) are actually installed in
virtualenv.py. Thanks Greg Haskins for report and fix. Fixes #167.
- Added activation script for Powershell (signed by Jannis Leidel). Many thanks to Jason R. Coombs.
- Gave user-provided
--extra-search-dirpriority over default dirs for finding setuptools/distribute (it already had priority for finding pip). Thanks Ethan Jucovy.
- Updated embedded Distribute release to 0.6.24. Thanks Alex Gronholm.
--no-site-packagesbehavior the default behavior. The
--no-site-packagesflag is still permitted, but displays a warning when used. Thanks Chris McDonough.
- New flag:
--system-site-packages; this flag should be passed to get the previous default global-site-package-including behavior back.
- Added ability to set command options as environment variables and options
- Fixed various encoding related issues with paths. Thanks Gunnlaugur Thor Briem.
- Restored ability to run on Python 2.4, too.
- Restored ability to run on Python < 2.7.
- Updated embedded distribute release to 0.6.19.
- Updated embedded pip release to 1.0.2.
- Fixed #141 - Be smarter about finding pkg_resources when using the
non-default Python interpreter (by using the
- Fixed #112 - Fixed path in docs.
- Fixed #109 - Corrected doctests of a Logger method.
- Fixed #118 - Fixed creating virtualenvs on platforms that use the “posix_local” install scheme, such as Ubuntu with Python 2.7.
- Add missing library to Python 3 virtualenvs (
- Start to use git-flow.
- Added support for PyPy 1.5
- Fixed #121 – added sanity-checking of the -p argument. Thanks Paul Nasrat.
- Added progress meter for pip installation as well as setuptools. Thanks Ethan Jucovy.
- Added –never-download and –search-dir options. Thanks Ethan Jucovy.
- Added Python 3 support! Huge thanks to Vinay Sajip and Vitaly Babiy.
- Fixed creation of virtualenvs on Mac OS X when standard library modules (readline) are installed outside the standard library.
- Updated bundled pip to 1.0.
- Moved main repository to Github: https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv
- Transferred primary maintenance from Ian to Jannis Leidel, Carl Meyer and Brian Rosner
- Fixed a few more pypy related bugs.
- Updated bundled pip to 0.8.2.
- Handed project over to new team of maintainers.
- Moved virtualenv to Github at https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv
_weakrefsetrequirement for Python 2.7.1.
- Fixed Windows regression in 1.5
- Include pip 0.8.1.
- Add support for PyPy.
- Uses a proper temporary dir when installing environment requirements.
--promptoption to be able to override the default prompt prefix.
- Fix an issue with
- Fix issue with installing the wrong version of distribute.
- Add fish and csh activate scripts.
- Include pip 0.7.2
- Fix for Mac OS X Framework builds that use
$PYTHONHOMEto be set, so long as you use
source bin/activateit will get unset; if you leave it set and do not activate the environment it will still break the environment.
- Include pip 0.7.1
- Include pip 0.7
activate.shto skip updating the prompt (by setting
- Include pip 0.6.3
deactivate.batunder Windows when
PATHcontained a parenthesis
- Include pip 0.6.2 and Distribute 0.6.10
- Create the
virtualenvscript even when Setuptools isn’t installed
- Fix problem with
bin/has subdirectories (e.g.,
bin/.svn/); from Alan Franzoni.
- If you set
$VIRTUALENV_DISTRIBUTEthen virtualenv will use Distribute by default (so you don’t have to remember to use
- Include pip 0.6.1
- Fix pip installation on Windows
- Fix use of stand-alone
virtualenv.py(and boot scripts)
- Exclude ~/.local (user site-packages) from environments when using
- Include pip 0.6
- Updated setuptools to 0.6c11
- Added the –distribute option
- Fixed packaging problem of support-files
- Virtualenv now copies the actual embedded Python binary on Mac OS X to fix a hang on Snow Leopard (10.6).
- Fail more gracefully on Windows when
win32apiis not installed.
- Fix site-packages taking precedent over Jython’s
__classpath__and also specially handle the new
- Now copies Jython’s
registryfile to the virtualenv if it exists.
- Better find libraries when compiling extensions on Windows.
- Added support for the Debian/Ubuntu
sys.real_prefix) which is reported to help building on Windows.
deactivatework on ksh
- Fixes for
--python: make it work with
--relocatableand the symlink created to the exact Python version.
- Use Windows newlines in
activate.bat, which has been reported to help when using non-ASCII directory names.
- Fixed compatibility with Jython 2.5b1.
- Added a function
virtualenv.install_pythonfor more fine-grained access to what
- Fix a problem with Windows and paths that contain spaces.
/path/to/env/pydistutils.cfgon Windows systems) then ignore
~/.pydistutils.cfgand use that other file instead.
- Fix ` a problem
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualenv/+bug/340050>`_ picking up
- Remove the
[install] prefix = ...setting from the virtualenv
distutils.cfg– this has been causing problems for a lot of people, in rather obscure ways.
- If you use a boot script it will attempt to import
virtualenvand find a pre-downloaded Setuptools egg using that.
- Added platform-specific paths, like
- Real Python 2.6 compatibility. Backported the Python 2.6 updates to
site.py, including user directories (this means older versions of Python will support user directories, whether intended or not).
- Always set
distutils.cfg– previously on some platforms where a system-wide
distutils.cfgwas present with a
prefixsetting, packages would be installed globally (usually in
- Sometimes Cygwin seems to leave
sys.executable; a workaround is added.
- Fixed handling of Jython environments that use a jython-complete.jar.
- Update to Setuptools 0.6c9
- Added an option
virtualenv --relocatable EXISTING_ENV, which will make an existing environment “relocatable” – the paths will not be absolute in scripts,
.pthfiles. This may assist in building environments that can be moved and copied. You have to run this after any new packages installed.
bin/activate_this.py, a file you can use like
execfile("path_to/activate_this.py", dict(__file__="path_to/activate_this.py"))– this will activate the environment in place, similar to what the mod_wsgi example does.
- For Mac framework builds of Python, the site-packages directory
/Library/Python/X.Y/site-packagesis added to
sys.path, from Andrea Rech.
- Some platform-specific modules in Macs are added to the path now
plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages), from Andrea Rech.
- Fixed a small Bashism in the
__future__to the list of required modules, for Python 2.3. You’ll still need to backport your own
- Fixed the
__classpath__entry in Jython’s
sys.pathtaking precedent over virtualenv’s libs.
- Added a
--pythonoption to select the Python interpreter.
warningsto the modules copied over, for Python 2.6 support.
setsto the module copied over for Python 2.3 (though Python 2.3 still probably doesn’t work).
- Added support for Jython 2.5.
- Added support for Python 2.6.
- Fix a problem with missing
DLLs/zlib.pydon Windows. Create
bin/python.exe) even when you run virtualenv with an interpreter named, e.g.,
- Fix MacPorts Python
- Added –unzip-setuptools option
- Update to Setuptools 0.6c8
- If the current directory is not writable, run ez_setup.py in
- Copy or symlink over the
includedirectory so that packages will more consistently compile.
- Fix build on systems that use
/usr/lib64, distinct from
/usr/lib(specifically CentOS x64).
- Fixed bug in
- Fixed typos in
$PYTHONPATHwhen calling subprocesses.
- Fix include dir copying on Windows (makes compiling possible).
- Include the main
lib-tkin the path.
get_python_libto point to the global locations.
distutils.cfgbefore Setuptools, so that system customizations of
distutils.cfgwon’t effect the installation.
bin/pythonX.Yto the virtualenv (in addition to
- Fixed an issue with Mac Framework Python builds, and absolute paths (from Ronald Oussoren).
- Improve ability to create a virtualenv from inside a virtualenv.
- Fix a little bug in
- Actually get
distutils.cfgto work reliably.
configto things that need to be copied over in an environment.
- Copy over or symlink the
includedirectory, so that you can build packages that need the C headers.
- Include a
distutilspackage, so you can locally update
- Better avoid downloading Setuptools, and hitting PyPI on environment creation.
- Fix a problem creating a
- Should work on MacOSX Framework builds (the default Python installations on Mac). Thanks to Ronald Oussoren.
- Windows installs would sometimes give errors about
sys.prefixthat were inaccurate.
- Slightly prettier output.
- Added support for Windows.
- Give a better warning if you are on an unsupported platform (Mac Framework Pythons, and Windows).
- Give error about running while inside a workingenv.
- Give better error message about Python 2.3.
Fixed packaging of the library.
Initial release. Everything is changed and new!